Friday, November 9, 2007

nomads of sorts


Well there comes a time to tell a story publicly (mostly to avoid having to tell and re-tell it). Jason and I have been moving around quite a bit as most people that read this blog will know. Our short stint in Willow Creek (the entire town is shown in the picture above)was ended with the ending of rafting season and the beginning of teaching on a crazy reservation. My first day went something like this:

Get to school, get all ready to teach stuff. Out side of my door: "F*ck that! You b*tch. Whatever A**hole, you are such a D*ick. Ha Ha! You Sl*t." Mind you, I am teaching 8th grade.
So we start our day. Introductions, syllabus... "Okay, class. I want you to write one paragraph about your summer. It can be about anything that you did this summer. Make it your best. I want to see how you write."
"How long does the paragraph have to be?"
"Five to seven sentences," I answer.
The students groaned. "Five to seven?!"
"Yes. You can do it."
My five minute writing warm up took 45 minutes.
Later...
We go to P.E. (Because I am a P.E. teacher now?) My students mob over to the gym. I am a sheep Herder. Some decide to go astray. They walk across the street. I chase them down. In the gym students are crawling on the bleachers, running in circles, and definitely not stretching (as I asked them to do first thing, before I brought them there.)
Next is intervention. I am supposed to help individual kids that I don't know work on skills they need to work on. Study hall of sorts? It is nearly 100 degrees in the classroom and we don't have AC. Two of the students break our fan by sticking pens in it. Other students throw there pencils at the ceiling to see if they will stick. Others decide it is cooler outside, and leave the room. I am a guard. Standing in front of the door.
My day ends with, "Some of the other guys wanted me to tell you... You have a great ass."
Could I handle this chaos? Maybe. Could I tame these crazies? Possibly. But I really didn't want to.

So, I quit my job. After three days.

Jason didn't like his job much either. In fact, he hated it. The owners of the golf course were pushing 100 and had shallow pockets.

So we moved to beautiful Colorado. (We made a map of the west coast and closed our eyes and threw a dart at it). Here we are in the Springs enjoying the mountains without Mormons. We almost took a few jobs at a ski resort, but decided that we didn't want to be that broke. So I took a job at Calhan High School. So far so good. I have been here a week and haven't lost any students yet. Oh yeah, and we don't have school on Mondays! How cool is that?!

There we are. I have officially lived in 5 states since I graduated college.

No comments: